With our partner Opta Sports, discover the main figures to remember after the Man City-PSG Champions League semi-final.
City in the final of the LDC, a first
- Manchester City qualify for their very first C1 final. They will become the 42nd different team to make a final in the competition and the 9th English club to achieve that performance after Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester United, Nottingham and Tottenham – that’s at least 3 more than any other nation (Germany and Italy, 6).
- Manchester City have qualified for their first European final in 51 years, since winning the 1970 Cup Winners’ Cup against Górnik Zabrze. At the same time, the English club established the longest wait for the same team between 2 finals in European UEFA competition.
- It is the second time that Paris is eliminated at the gates of the final of the Champions League after the 1995 edition – when it was released by AC Milan (0-1, 0-2). Only Monaco has been eliminated more often at this stage of the competition among the French teams (3 times).
- Manchester City have won their last 7 Champions League matches – setting a new consecutive success record for an English C1 team (Manchester United in 1965/66, Leeds in 1969-1970 and Arsenal in 2005 had made the pass of 6) .
- This is the very first time that Paris has not taken a shot in a Champions League match since Opta analyzed the competition in 2003/04. You had to go back to May 6, 2015 and Bayern Munich against Barcelona to see a team fail to frame a single shot in a semi-final match in the competition.
- Paris attempted 14 shots tonight but never managed to find the frame – equaling the most attempts for a team without a frame in a Champions League meeting since Opta analyzed the competition in 2003-2004 (Juventus v Lyon le February 26, 2020).
- PSG are only the third team to receive a red card in the first leg and second leg of a Champions League semi-final – after La Coruña against Porto in 2003/04 and Lyon against Bayern Munich in 2009 – 2010. It is also the team that has received the most red cards in LdC this season (4).
- Riyad Mahrez is only the second player to score in the first leg and return of a Champions League semi-final with an English club after Sadio Mané with Liverpool in 2017-2018. This evening he became the Algerian top scorer in the history of the competition (10 goals).
- Marquinhos have won 100% of their matches against Manchester City (9/9), becoming the player to have played the most matches without losing a single one in a Champions League game this season.
- Pep Guardiola is only the seventh coach to qualify for the Champions League final with two different teams (Barcelona in 2009 & 2011 and Manchester City in 2021) after Ottmar Hitzfeld, Louis Van Gaal, José Mourinho, Jupp Heynckes, Carlo Ancelotti and Jürgen Klopp.