The La Liga club bus was attacked with projectiles before the game, smashing several windows.
Liverpool have condemned an attack on the Real Madrid team bus ahead of the teams’ Champions League game at Anfield on Wednesday night.
Several eyewitnesses said the Madrid bus was attacked with stones and other projectiles, with video showing the bus suffered a broken window.
Before the second leg of the quarter-finals, the Reds pledged to identify those responsible for the damage.
“We unequivocally condemn the actions which led to the damage to the Real Madrid team bus when it arrived at Anfield tonight,” a spokesperson for Liverpool said.
“This is totally unacceptable and shameful behavior on the part of a few individuals. We sincerely apologize to our visitors for any distress caused. We will work with Merseyside Police to establish the facts and identify those responsible. “
Real Madrid bus visibly targeted by Liverpool supporters outside Anfiel
Unfortunately for Liverpool, Wednesday was not the first time that an opposing team’s bus had been targeted outside Anfield.
Manchester City saw their bus attacked ahead of a Champions League quarter-final in April 2018, with the Reds once again forced to apologize after the incident.
“We apologize wholeheartedly to Pep Guardiola, his players, staff and officials caught up in the incident,” Liverpool said after the attack. “The behavior of a number of individuals was completely unacceptable and the club will cooperate fully with the authorities to identify those responsible.”